Friday, September 14, 2007

Aed, Truly

Over the summer I learned that I was a descentant (along with probably half the US) of the Scottish kings Aed and Somebody the Whelpe, whose combined names we have to thank for ours. This pleased me as I saw it as some kind of divine guidance and sanction. Well, today it just got better. May I present my findings...

Hayes: This is the anglicised version of the Gaelic Ó háodha, meaning "Descendant of Aodh," a personal name meaning "fire."

Aodh: From the old Irish name Áed, which meant "fire."

I am then Bess "Descendant of Aed." This can't be improved upon, I'm sure.

4 comments:

Spencer G said...

Why does your name still not reflect your recent revelation?

Bee Hives said...

It'll come. Keep your pants on, for crying in a hankie.

Spencer G said...

"For crying in a hankie"? You are of Aed's loins... which, incidentally, I think should be in your name.

J. Faux said...

I think you mean hankie, like Hanky the Christmas Poo.