Monday, November 10, 2008

There's Something about a Wall

And the time of posting has come. I'll lead out with my sestina. It's repeating refrains are perfect for the marginally sane.

There's Something about a Wall

There is something about a wall.

It’s long and slim horizontal lines

Echo and repeat like a siren’s call.


Humpty dumpty had a great fall

But not even he, nor the kings and their kinds,

Knew that something about a wall.


Mortar and brick are far from all

that go into making the immortal signs

that echo and repeat like a siren’s call.


The Chinese built one, strong and tall,

But slave labor and grandiose designs

Don’t know anything about a wall.


Fences and halls? All falderal.

Where are the rhythm and tone that combines

To echo and repeat like a siren’s call.


From the cellar to the mall, in each load bearing wall,

There’s something that shines and kindly reminds

That there’s nothing quite like the Berlin wall

Which echoes and repeats like a siren’s call.

3 comments:

Ro Ro Riot said...

How long did it take you to write the poem? Maybe you should think about writing a book of poetry.

Bee Hives said...

Very impressive.

Spencer G said...

I hope it looks like I spent a long time. Isn't that the best compliment you can give poetry? "Looks like you spent a while on that"? It may have been. I wrote it while I was IMing with Bess while simultaneously trying to sound like I'd already written it and take a break from all my PhD applications.